If you want to purchase a natural fiber carpet for your home, consider choosing wool carpet. Desired for its natural softness and non-toxic manufacturing process, wool carpet is a great choice for homeowners who want to create comfortable and healthy home interiors.
Natural Fiber Carpet: Healthy and Environmentally-Friendly
Unlike carpets made from petroleum products, wool fibers are natural, making wool carpets sustainable and healthier than synthetics:
- Natural fiber carpet doesn't off-gas toxic fumes, which means healthier air for you and your family to breathe while in your home.
- Wool carpet is considered a "green" product, because wool is produced by sheering sheep--a sustainable and non-toxic process.
Although many homeowners are purchasing wool carpet because of these environmentally friendly credentials, here are some other smart reasons to choose wool.
6 Reasons Wool Carpet Is a Great Choice:
- Warmth. People have used wool for thousands of years because of its superior insulating quality, which comes from the yarn's ability to trap air within the wool fibers. Wool carpet feels great under foot and can also act as sound insulation for a large room, which can help create a home that feels cozy and inviting.
- Naturally fire resistant. Unlike synthetic carpet fibers that melt when exposed to heat, wool carpet has a higher ignition temperature and will not melt at low temperatures. This can make it easier to hide or repair small burns in your carpets that are accidentally caused by fire sparks or cigarettes.
- Resilient and durable, A wool carpet can last a long time if properly cared for.
- Hides dirt well. Unlike synthetic carpet fibers which are translucent, wool fibers are opaque and have a dull sheen to them which can help hide dirt to the human eye. This is very beneficial in high traffic areas like hallways and doorways.
- Resists dust mites. If you or any of your family members suffer from allergies, this can be a big benefit.
- Cleans well. Lanolin, which is a waxy coating on wool fibers, helps keep wool clean. And you probably didn't know that wool fibers expand and release ground-in dirt when cleaned with water and mild detergent.
While wool is usually more expensive than other types of carpets, the look and feel of wool is luxurious and distinct. So, if you want a natural fiber carpet that is not only environmentally friendly but also healthier for you and your family, consider purchasing wool carpet for your home.
About the Author
Michael Hilton was the original creator of Carpet Buyers Handbook. Having owned and operated a carpet wholesale company, Hilton has a vast knowledge about all-things carpet related as well as other types of flooring.